Friday, December 23, 2011

"Angry Psychedelia" - The Stranglers


The first article I ever read that sort of rounded up all the popular "punk rock" bands in England in '77-'78 described The Stranglers as "been around too long to be punk" and as an "angry psychedelic band". Naturally I had to check them out and the first record of theirs I came across was Black & White. Immediately blown away, I think I even bought an 8-track of it. I later found out that their reputation was way worse than any punk band bar the Sex Pistols but The Stranglers had been nastier longer. This music has balls and they're dangling perilously close to your face...




The Stranglers were also a great pop band.

6 comments:

Andy 7 said...

"Black And White" was a stunning album, and I recommend the Hugh Cornwell interview book, "The Stranglers: Song By Song" by Jim Drury. A very informative companion to this album.

Prof. Grewbeard said...

awesome! i had a conversation with Dave Greenfield about the literature they brought along with them when they played Houston in '78. he was just standing in the lobby of the theater smoking a pipe, very English. wish i could remember what he said...

Eegah!! and Tabonga! said...

The Stranglers are a GREAT band. I've got the B&W LP, never heard The Raven, Merry ThanX-Mas!

Eegah!!

Prof. Grewbeard said...

Merry Xmass buddy!

Eegah!! and Tabonga! said...

Baroque Bordello - Hell Yeah!! What a groove!

Eegah!!

Prof. Grewbeard said...

i knew you'd dig it.